H806: Study Water and Sewer Infrastructure. Latest Version
AN ACT to establish a study on water and sewer infrastructure needs in this state.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. The Department of Environmental Quality and the Local Government Commission, with the assistance of the Environmental Finance Center of the UNC School of Government, shall study all of the following matters related to water and sewer infrastructure in North Carolina:
(1) The age and condition of water and sewer infrastructure.
(2) The long‑term needs for maintenance, repair, and replacement of water and sewer infrastructure.
(3) The financing needs of aging water and sewer systems with infrastructure that is failing.
(4) The sustainability, both environmental and financial, of each city, county, and other units of local government owning and operating a water, sewer, or water and sewer system.
(5) How the provision of public water and sewer impacts economic development and land use planning in the jurisdiction operating the water, sewer, or water and sewer system.
SECTION 2. The report required by Section 1 of this act, with findings and recommendations and any proposed legislation, shall be submitted to the Joint Legislative Committee on Local Government on or before March 1, 2022.
SECTION 3. This act is effective when it becomes law.