H803: LRC Study Negligent/Intentional Pet Death. Latest Version
AN ACT to direct the Legislative research commission to study liability issues pertaining to negligent or intentional acts leading to pet death in this state.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1.(a) The Legislative Research Commission (LRC) shall study the issue of veterinary malpractice in North Carolina.
As part of its study, the LRC shall do all of the following:
(1) Examine current legal barriers in the State to recovery for pet owners from persons who commit negligent or intentional acts leading to the death or injury of the pet.
(2) Examine limitations on damages in the context of pets adopted from an animal shelter or other animal rescue organization offering adoption of animals.
(3) Examine the approaches to liability for pet death or permanent injury in other states that recognize the significant role pets play in the health and emotional well‑being of many citizens of the state.
(4) Examine the effectiveness of current facility and occupational licensing and professional discipline schemes for providers of veterinary medical care in addressing negligence in the provision of veterinary medical care to pets.
(5) Any other matters the LRC deems relevant to its efforts.
SECTION 1.(b) The LRC shall report its findings, together with any proposed legislation, to the 2022 Regular Session of the 2021 General Assembly upon its convening.
SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law.