S586: Study Lipedema. Latest Version
AN ACT to direct the legislative research commission to study lipedema.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1.(a) The Legislative Research Commission (LRC) shall study the medical issues surrounding lipedema and the impact of this disease on women residing in North Carolina.
As part of its study, the LRC shall do all of the following:
(1) Examine the number of women who have been diagnosed with lipedema over the last five years and the symptoms associated with the disease.
(2) Examine the number of women with lipedema who have been misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed over the last five years.
(3) Examine the causes and cures for lipedema.
(4) Identify effective therapies for managing the symptoms associated with lipedema and whether these therapies are affordable and readily available within the State.
(5) Examine whether lipedema disproportionately affects a particular population of women in the State.
(6) Any other matters the LRC deems relevant to its efforts.
SECTION 1.(b) The LRC shall report its findings, together with any proposed legislation, to the 2022 Regular Session of the 2021 General Assembly upon its convening.
SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law.