H124: Teacher Diversity/PED Study. Latest Version
AN ACT TO DIRECT the north carolina TEACHING FELLOWS COMMISSION TO SELECT AT LEAST one minority‑serving institution TO participate in THE NORTH CAROLINA TEACHING FELLOWS PROGRAM, as recommended by THE JOINT LEGISLATIVE program evaluation OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1.(a) G.S. 116‑209.62(f) reads as rewritten:
(f) Program Selection Criteria. – The Authority shall administer the Program in cooperation with up to eight institutions of higher education with approved educator preparation programs selected by the Commission that represent a diverse selection of both postsecondary constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina and private postsecondary institutions operating in the State. The Commission shall select at least one minority‑serving institution, as defined in 20 U.S.C. § 1067k(3), to participate in the program. The Commission shall adopt stringent standards for selection of the most effective educator preparation programs, including the following:
(1) Demonstrates high rates of educator effectiveness on value‑added models and teacher evaluations, including using performance‑based, subject‑specific assessment and support systems, such as edTPA or other metrics of evaluating candidate effectiveness that have predictive validity.
(2) Demonstrates measurable impact of prior graduates on student learning, including impact of graduates teaching in STEM or special education licensure areas.
(3) Demonstrates high rates of graduates passing exams required for teacher licensure.
(4) Provides curricular and co‑curricular enhancements in leadership, facilitates learning for diverse learners, and promotes community engagement, classroom management, and reflection and assessment.
(5) Requires at least a minor concentration of study in the subject area that the candidate may teach.
(6) Provides early and frequent internship or practical experiences, including the opportunity for participants to perform practicums in diverse school environments.
(7) Is approved by the State Board of Education as an educator preparation program.
SECTION 1.(b) The Commission shall select at least one minority‑serving institution to participate in the North Carolina Teaching Fellows Program pursuant to G.S. 116‑209.62(f), as amended by subsection (a) of this section, by December 1, 2021.
SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law.