S69: DMV Licensing Requirements. Latest Version
GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SESSION LAW 2021-24
SENATE BILL 69
AN ACT to revise division of motor vehicles permit and license requirements.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 20‑11 reads as rewritten:
§ 20‑11. Issuance of limited learner's permit and provisional drivers license to person who is less than 18 years old.
(d) Level 2. – A person who is at least 16 years old but less than 18 years old may obtain a limited provisional license if the person meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has held a limited learner's permit issued by the Division for at least 12 six months.
(2) Has not been convicted of a motor vehicle moving violation or seat belt infraction or a violation of G.S. 20‑137.3 during the preceding six months.
(3) Passes a road test administered by the Division.
(4) Has a driving eligibility certificate or a high school diploma or its equivalent.
(5) Has completed a driving log, on a form approved by the Division, detailing a minimum of 60 hours as the operator of a motor vehicle of a class for which the driver has been issued a limited learner's permit. The log must show at least 10 hours of the required driving occurred during nighttime hours. No more than 10 hours of driving per week may be counted toward the 60‑hour requirement. The driving log must be signed by the supervising driver and submitted to the Division at the time the applicant seeks to obtain a limited provisional license. If the Division has cause to believe that a driving log has been falsified, the limited learner's permit holder shall be required to complete a new driving log with the same requirements and shall not be eligible to obtain a limited provisional license for six months.
SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law and applies to applications for licenses submitted on or after that date. Section 1 of this act expires on December 31, 2021.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 18th day of May, 2021.
s/ Bill Rabon
Presiding Officer of the Senate
s/ Harry Warren
Presiding Officer of the House of Representatives
s/ Roy Cooper
Approved 4:26 p.m. this 24th day of May, 2021